RDP Won't connect to local network computer - With error "This user account's password has expired..."

I am running Windows 8.1 on both computers. The computer that I am running RDP from is a member of a Domain. The remote computer is a stand alone computer and I use my Microsoft account to connect to it locally (@Hotmail.com). My account password has not expired on either my Microsoft account or my Domain account. My Domain computer is also connected to my Microsoft account.

When I try to connect to the computer that is not part of the domain, I get the error:

This user account's password has expired. The password must change in order to logon.
Please update the password or contact your system administrator or technical support.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Luis

November 19th, 2014 1:16pm

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Initially please check whether you can ping both system successfully. If ping is successful then check for other options. Check Firewall setting, RDP port (3389) is not blocked by firewall.

From the error description seems there is password issue with user account, Add the user under Remote Desktop Users as per below snap:

Also go through following article for more information.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/remote-desktop-connection-faq#1TC=windows-8

Hope it helps!

Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 20th, 2014 5:37am

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Windows Server Forum.

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as Answered as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. 

BTW,  wed love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. 

Thanks for your Support & understanding.

Regards.
December 1st, 2014 7:52am

This issue has not been resolved. The steps provided here were the steps that I went through when I first realized the problem. They are pretty basic and not related to my problem. I think that I may have mentioned that I am an experienced computer user. I even spent a couple of years as a system administrator back at the early years of my career. I have already tried all the obvious methods and steps. I did notice that I couldn't connect from another computer running Windows server 2012 either.

I am a local administrator on all the computers, so adding my account as allowed to remote is not necessary.

I think this is possibly a problem having to do with the fact that one machine is part of a domain... But I am stumped so I don't know.

December 2nd, 2014 12:20am

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. Sorry to hear that your issue still persists.

Have you find any specific Event ID for your case?
Can you successful ping to the remote system?
Does this happens for all users or any specified user?

So from your description it seems that there is system level issue as you cant connect to the specific system successfully. Also this might cause as you have commented due to domain joined for one system. Please check the remote connection related setting from system end. Also try to use other user account to remote desktop and verify the result. You can find the connection related error by running Network Monitor.

Either try to saved default credential of users if can resolve your case by editing group policy Allow Delegating Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication under below mentioned path.

Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Credentials Delegation

In the Show Contents dialog box, type the name of the remote computer (server) in this format: TERMSRV\computername, and then click OK.
Why cant I connect using Remote Desktop Connection?

You can also use this specific code for try:
wmic path Win32_UserAccount where Name='username' set PasswordExpires=false

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

December 2nd, 2014 2:21am

Hi,

Is there any update?

Thanks.

December 8th, 2014 5:16am

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Windows Server forum.

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as Answered and if there is anything new to update we will let you know by following up this thread.

BTW,  wed love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. 

Thanks for your Support & understanding!

Regards.
December 11th, 2014 1:07am

I have the same problem. It is not a system issue because I can connect with remote desktop to other accounts (e.g local administrator). It fails when I try to connect with my microsoft account credentials. The credentials work fine when logging into the machine locally. They are not expired.
April 1st, 2015 8:30pm

Same issue here.
April 10th, 2015 4:30pm

There was no resolution. I simply cannot connect, and have accepted that and moved on. If someone finds a resolution, I'd love to try it.
April 12th, 2015 12:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics